Wednesday, May 20, 2009

And the Winner is... er... the Winners are...

Life has a way of changing our plans. When I started to talk about our neighborhood snow mound, and suggested that people could guess when all that snow would disappear, I imagined a quiet May - with time to check on the mound every few days. But that didn't happen. I was unable to get there at all last weekend...

So yesterday morning, Tuesday May 19, when I was finally able to get back to the pile of snow, this is what I saw...














There was still a puddle where the last of the snow had been.

So, since I was unable to determine exactly which day the the last of the snow pile melted, I will surmise that sometime - perhaps before May 16 (guessed by "thewind") or May 17 (suggested by "gazelle") ... it disappeared, leaving us with the puddle shown above.

It took about a month for this much snow to melt! (You may have to click on the image to see the total extent of the snow.)














Our spring has been cool, rainy and windy. If the weather had been warmer, would it have disappeared more quickly? I leave that question to the physicists - or perhaps the meteorologists...

Congratulations to the winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment