Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunset

When I was living in Israel, I met a young Brit who had walked from London to Jerusalem, to raise money for Oxfam, after graduating from university. He had wanted to do something to help others before settling into a "normal" working life.

One day as we were walking in the city, he stopped suddenly and pointed: Look, the sun is setting. Sunrise and sunset were the highlights of my day while I was walking alone across Europe. I have to stop and watch the sun go down.

So we stood in silence, watching the sky turn red and slowly darken.

I still think of him whenever I notice the setting sun, a young man standing alone, gazing at the sky. I also think of all the beautiful sunsets I have missed because I don't take the time to stand and stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment