Friday, January 16, 2009

Knit Socks















I have loved knitting sweaters since high school, but I always viewed knitting socks as a higher knitting form - one I could never aspire to.

My grandmother used to knit "skating socks" for her children and grandchildren. I don't know of any that have survived, apart from these that belong to my cousin.

They are probably around 50 years old.

When I would watch my grandmother use her 4 double pointed needles (where stitches could fall off both ends), I knew it would be pointless for me to even try!

Then a few years ago, I heard about a knitter who managed to knit a sock a day (or so she claimed) by taking her knitting with her everywhere she went.

I was inspired to see if I could do the same!

I must confess, I have never managed that feat, but I can finish a sock in a week, if I try.















Here are some socks I have made. I prefer yarn that knits up in a pattern - it adds interest to watch the designs grow.

My favorite pattern for basic socks (for a size 8 or 9 shoe) is by Kim Goddard. You can find it at:
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm

It's free to download and use.

Although I usually start knitting the socks on 4 double pointed needles, I often switch to round needles after finishing the stretch ribbing on top.















The downside of being a knitter is that it is easier to buy yarn than to actually knit it! Here is my sock yarn bin - you need one 50 gram ball for each sock, so I buy 2 balls of yarn at a time.

You can never have too much yarn!















Although I haven't done any fancy socks, I did receive this lovely pair as a gift. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can see the delicate lace-work. Some people enjoy complicated challenges - I prefer the simpler kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment