Saturday, July 25, 2026

Conversation With Six-Year-Old

I had promised to buy him a gift for passing into grade 2, and he chose a nerf gun...











I was conflicted: I don't like to see kids with guns - even toy ones with sponge bullets. And then there's the potential danger of projectiles hitting the eyes... 

I probably should have refused, but I didn't.

Okay, I finally said . But if  you shoot at anyone's face, or hit anyone in the eye, the gun will be confiscated. I'll take it away until you're 21.

Why 21? He asked.

Because you'll be an adult, I replied.

I won't be living here, he said. I'm leaving when I'm 19.

Where will you be living? I asked.

He paused, then replied: In Spain.

(Hmmm. Spain? Is that because Spain just won the world cup?! Everything affects everything... I wonder how many little boys are now talking about a place called Spain?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment