Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pottery Workshop with Richard Gill

I wasn't planning to do any pottery this summer - but when I saw that Burnstown potter, Richard Gill, was offering two-day workshops in relief wall hangings, I decided to sign up for one. My art style is very "loose." (Which may be why I gravitate to doing the human face in pottery.)


Richard, a former architect, has a totally different style. Could I absorb some of it in a 2-day workshop?!












Our group of five started out by learning his technique, which involved working with one hand under a slab of clay, the other on top, forming the relief of the picture. Details and texture were added later. This is Richard's demo plaque.














Working from the same sketch, we all ended up with something slightly different. (Here is mine... in process.) Working with clay is always fun!















The second day, we each worked on a design of our own. I attempted to create a relief of the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, which we visited earlier this summer.












 


We left our unfinished pieces drying in Richard's studio. In the next few weeks he will fire them and glaze them. When they are done, we will be able to pick them up. I can't wait to see how mine turn out!


No comments:

Post a Comment