Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Kitty is 50!

Years ago, my daughter got some "Hello Kitty" pajama pants... (Hmmm... Spell check wants me to spell it pyjama!)

That was my introduction to "Hello Kitty" - a Japanese cartoon character, who this year turns 50 years old! I had never noticed "Hello Kitty" until my then-teenage daughter started getting a few things.... Later a "Hello Kitty" phone was added to the collection.


I was alerted to this cartoon character birthday / anniversary by a sign in the mall where I take s daily walk.


The thought occurred to me that the creator of this character could have lived well all her life off the earnings of her art... but possibly not. Wikipedia tells me that she was an employee of a company that made plastic shoes decorated with cartoon characters. I wonder if she was fairly compensated before she left the company..,


So there seems to be a wave of nostalgia - as I'm seeing Hello Kitty everywhere. My favourite is this journal.


But 50 years?! How is it possible?! A reminder that time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment