Friday, March 9, 2018

More Snow! (Isn't it a Miracle?!)

Just when much of our snow had disappeared - and I was excited about the prospect of having an early spring - it has snowed again!

Light powdery stuff that has been accumulating day after day...

Though I'm not thrilled to see it - I have been reflecting on the miracle of snow... Water suspended in solid form, ready to melt and water the ground when the temperature warms up... a slow kind of watering (unlike torrential rain that pours into ditches and doesn't really soak into the ground)...




Another "miracle" of snow is that it protects plants from extremely cold temperatures... Maybe animals, too. I know snow can be molded into protective shelters for humans in the wild. I never learned to make one of these, but a student once told me about making a "quinzhee"... on a winter camping trip.

Non-polluting, star-shaped, time-lapse water particles that also protect plants (and people) from extreme cold.

If a human were to invent something this wonderful, he or she would get a Nobel science prize, at the very least... Yet I take it completely for granted!! Or, worse yet, I complain about it!

I'm going to try to focus on the MIRACLE it is, as I wait for spring - and those other miracles, the sprouting plants and flowers that have managed to survive the cold and will soon fill my garden with life!


No comments:

Post a Comment